When Is a Tooth Extraction Needed?
A tooth may need to be extracted only when all other options of saving or restoring the tooth have been ruled out. This may include:
- Extreme infection or risk of infection
- Damage from trauma
- Impacted Wisdom Teeth
What Is a Tooth Extraction?
This procedure includes:
- X-rays to assess the correct location of the affected tooth
- Decision on and application of anesthesia for a smooth experience
- Careful removal of the tooth and bone graft
- Aftercare to stop any bleeding
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
Recovery after an extraction usually takes a few days. Tips include:
- Pain relievers as recommended, or as prescribed
- Correct use of gauze as instructed
- Application of ice for 10 minutes at a time
- Avoid rinsing, sucking, or spitting
- Do not smoke.
- Stick to soft foods for awhile
- Avoid the extraction site when brushing your teeth.